If you are already a content marketing convert and understand the importance of embracing content publishing as a core component of your marketing strategy, you may be wondering how well you are doing in comparison to other companies. The Altimeter Group has a report that can help you with that. Their recently released “Content: The New Marketing Equation” report puts together a “Content Marketing Maturity” framework to help you assess your content marketing efforts.
The Content Marketing Maturity Model
Based on their analysis, the Altimeter Group devised a content marketing maturity model comprised of the following stages:
- Stand: you haven’t yet realized the value of content marketing as a key component of your marketing strategy.
- Stretch: you understand the benefits of content marketing and have started to create content.
- Walk: now with a solid foundation organizationally that supports content creation, your content strategy is more fully refined and tweaked. There is also a concerted effort to connect content development with all parts of the organization’s communication teams.
- Jog: your company is seriously committed to content marketing and has a clear strategy.
- Run: companies at this stage have production and creative as full, standalone business unit, and your company is creating content that is sold and licensed based on its standalone merit.
The report details each stage with an accompanying case study and suggestions for moving onto the next stage. It also shows how you can perform a content marketing self-audit and score your organization based on the different elements that define content marketing maturity, namely:
- Organizational Structure
- Internal Resources
- External Resources
Whether you decide to really audit your content creation efforts or not, just going through the criteria and the different case studies can give you additional insights you can use to better fine tune your own content marketing processes.
Key Content Creation Recommendations
The report ends with some final recommendations for anyone that wishes to improve their content marketing creation efforts:
- Build Content Around the Brand/Product/Service, Not About It
- Drive Organizational Change and Transformation
- Educate and Train
- Design Recombinant Content
One thing is clear, in order to achieve the higher stages of content marketing maturity, the whole organization must recognize its importance and support for content creation must come from the executive levels.
The free report is available to download directly from the Altimeter Group’s website (or click the image below).